Monday, March 9, 2009

Dihydrogen Monoxide







I came upon this website recently, http://www.dhmo.org/. It explained all the reasons why dhmo is harmful. Seeing that it was a .org website, I instinctively trusted the information and read on: "dhmo is linked to gun violence"; "some call dhmo the invisible killer"; "dihydrogen monoxide can be deadly." What is this stuff?


It took me about 15 minutes to realize that dhmo, was none other than our very own, H2O. Being an AP Chemistry student, I was naturally embarrased to not have realized this at the outset. I heartily congratulate anyone who was not fooled by the scientific-aura of the website. (If you guessed by recognizing that the beautiful bottle to the left is a water bottle, then I dont.)


Back to the point. After realizing that dhmo was water, I reflected back on one of the warnings: "some people think that dhmo should be banned." I honestly think that some of my friends and family agree with this statement and think that water is toxic; these people probably drink a glass of water a week, and it irks me. Here begins my rant/reasons why water is necessary for a body to function well physically and mentally :


The Importance of Dihydrogen Monoxide


  • Water washes away all the gunk stuck to the lining of our intestines (this is especially important if you tend to eat a less fibrous diet).

  • Water makes your skin glow. It's not a myth that drinking water helps prevent acne. It washes away toxins that lead to pimples and helps our kidneys filter those toxins out.

  • Water keeps your skin and lips moist. Drinkng enough water may help you relieve your chapstick addiction. (I have a severe addiction, so I understand.)

  • Water prevents you from consuming unnecessary calories. I'm not saying that water supresses hunger, or it'll make you lose weight. But it will prevent you from reaching for snacks when you're not even hungry.

  • Water is good for digestion. In fact, drinking a cup of water as soon as you wake up in the morning is probably the best way to start your day.
  • Water helps to replenish the water you've lost through perspiration. If you have a very active lifestyle, drinking water is a must. Many people recommend drinking beverages with electrolytes; however, many of these sport drinks are loaded with sugar and do not hydrate you nor replenish your energy. Stick to drinking water, and if electrolytes are needed, at a pinch of salt and lemon and sugar: lemonade!
  • Water helps you concentrate in class. Sugary drinks may provide you a burst of energy, but you'll crash sooner or later and won't be able to function. Water keeps you going throughout the day. Invest in a reusable water bottle for convenience! I just got a new Sigg water bottle (pictured to the left) that I'm currently obsessed with. :) visit http://www.mysigg.com/
That's it for now, folks.



10 comments:

  1. haha the title of this made me laugh :) and the picture because I saw it today in class :P I like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have an ecofriendly waterbottle too :) i like youre blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much water should I drink everyday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I would have gotten the dhmo either. Love the bottle :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL this is really funny and smart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol we learned about dhmo.org back in sixth grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol my 6th grade english teacher tried to trick everyone with the site. one student brought in a vial of water and said they had the "dangerous" substance and half the room believed him :P

    ReplyDelete